Enzymedica is a strong supporter of leaving the environment a better place than how we found it. We understand that there is a carbon footprint with our day to day operations and as a responsible member of the business community we feel the need to offset that. By partnering with Green Mountain Energy back in 2009 we were able to take the initiative of leading the way in offsetting 100% of our total calculated Co2 (carbon dioxide) emissions associated with our annual electricity, corporate owned vehicles and our corporate air travel. By doing so we have been successfully carbon neutral for the last 7 years.
We understand it’s not easy as individuals to fully reduce our carbon footprint but we believe there are actions we can take towards moving in that direction and we’d love to share some suggestions.
Tips for Reducing your Carbon Footprint:
- When possible ride a bike or go for a walk.
- Carpooling or taking public transportation can greatly reduce carbon output by spreading them out amongst other riders
- This may go without saying but avoiding traffic is not only good for your mental state but it’s good for the earth. Sitting in traffic wastes fuel and creates unnecessary Co2. By checking ahead for traffic updates or using mobile apps to take the best routes you’ll save yourself and the earth.
- Turn off those lights you’re not using around the house. Installing occupancy sensors around your house will greatly reduce the amount of energy you use.
- When considering the appliances in your house look for the Energy Star logo recognizing appliances for having superior efficiency.
- Lower the amount of water used by washing your car less often, using drip irrigation in your garden and making water-efficient choices when purchasing faucet heads, toilets and shower heads.
- Many states offer incentives to help convince homeowners to improve the energy efficiency of their home by taking actions like improving the insulation in your home which should help reduce drafts and air leaks, getting an energy efficient air condition unit and installing a programmable thermostat to better manage the temperature in your home.
- Reuse and recycle when possible
With everything you do, support clean energy sources. Become an advocate and educate yourself on the many different ways that you can take a cleaner and more efficient approach to your carbon footprint. We should all strive to leave the earth a better place than we found it.